LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I have a short term rental. I rented to a woman period of

Customer Question

I have a short term rental. I rented to a woman for a period of 6months. She told me she was recovering from a brain tumor and was on the mend. She was not recovering but dying and is now going on hospice. I do not want her to die in my unit, can I do anything?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is she on a lease or is she a month to month tenant?

2. What state are you in?

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in California, and she is on a 6 mo lease. I asked her if she was on the mend before renting to her because I was fearful of renting to someone who might be dying. She told me she was on the mend.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her sisters are handling everything at this point. They are getting hospice to come in and care for her. Am I stuck or can I do something?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there???
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning.

Thanks for the additional information.

Whether she knew about the fact that she was going to die within 6 months or not is really not an issue here (perhaps she was optimistic at that time), but the reality is that you need to abide by the lease agreement, though you may give her advanced notice that she will not be granted any additional time once the lease is over.

Unless she is somehow violating the lease agreement, you are pretty much stuck with your tenant. I am sorry. Are one or more of her sisters planning to stay with her until she passes? Does your lease agreement limit residency to just her?

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

I'd like to propose something that may be of interest to you. If you would like, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conversation as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Many customers find that a call is much more productive in terms of getting their questions answered. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The lease says no more than 2 people. Her caregiver and her. Yes her sisters stay with her when they are here.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Does your lease limit visitor stays to a certain amount of time?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug