Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I HAVE A TENANT THAT IS 17 DAYS LATE ON RENT AN I CAN'T GET

Customer Question

I HAVE A TENANT THAT IS 17 DAYS LATE ON RENT AN I CAN'T GET A HOLE OF HIM CAN I LOCK HIM OUT OF THE PREMISES
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry, but no. Self-help by landlords (meaning simply locking someone out because they are late) is not allowed. One has to follow the eviction procedure and evict them via the Court. See HERE for how to do so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do i go to evict him when i can't get a hole of him
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Eviction process of service can be effected (done) by serving him via certified mail, a constable, or a private process server. Assuming he lives on the property, most people will open up for an officer of the law (constable), for example.

Worst case scenario in landlord evictions, the Court often allows service by placing the citation on the door if there are repeated occurrences of him attempting to avoid service.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.