MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

Is there a law against your landlord holding your rent

Customer Question

Is there a law against your landlord holding your rent checks so he can say you haven't paid your rent and can evict you?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. In what state are you located? Also, can you please provide me with a bit more detail?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in Oklahoma Catoosa Oklahoma and I have been having a boundary dispute with my neighbors behind me and the landlord is telling me that I have to accommodate them and give up what I pay for so that they can use it and has now begun to hold my rent checks for November and December and told me that I had to move my car from my lot or he will not cash my check and that I no longer have possession or ownership of my lot until he cashes my checks and I will eventually be evicted

While there is no specific statute against it, the landlord cannot evict you for nonpayment of rent if you have made payments to him and he simply refuses to cash them. However, the landlord can evict you for other reasons, i.e. breaching your lease.

Please let me know if this has answered your question.