Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I am the landlord of a building in the city of Chicago. My

Customer Question

I am the landlord of a building in the city of Chicago. My tenant and the lady next door do not get along. The lady next door is always calling the police on my tenant, and has had a arrested several times. The police is tired of their calls. It has nothing to do with my building but my tenant wants me to get involved. I do not live there so I only know what she tells me and I refuse to get involved in all this bickering and fighting over the dogs/the cats/ how she looks at me all what I would call petty stuff. They have a court date next month do you think I should get involved. I really do not want to. I honestly do not think I can be of any help because I do not live there and I do not know the neighbor.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If this is a personal issue between your tenant and a person that you have no control over then you have no obligation to get involved in behavior that you have no control over. It might be a different story if you rented to both as the tenant has a right to the quiet enjoyment of their property and you could possibly have an obligation to keep one tenant from harassing another and possibly evict the tenant in the wrong. This is not an option here and you are exactly right, if you have no information regarding the matter, there is really no reason for you to get involved legally or otherwise. If you do rent to both then you might have an obligation to remedy this situation if one tenant is harassing the other.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just following up, do you have any further questions?

I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Any chance for a positive rating?