Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

In when you are being evicted from your apartment and the

Customer Question

in Virginia when you are being evicted from your apartment and the landlord is still taking your money and does not put on the receipts in reservation what can I do? in Virginia what is an order to show cause and what is an stay of execution?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can someone call me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Is your rent up to date? Do you have your own proof that you paid the rent?

An order to show cause is a motion to the court to make the other party show up in court and explain why they are not in violation of the court's order. A motion to stay execution is a motion that asks the court to not enforce the judgment of the court for some good cause reason.

We are sending you a phone call offer per your request.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok my rent is not due until the 19th however I am behind in rent and I am paying them money every week to try to catch up. they told me that if I would continue to pay they would work with me and not continue with the eviction. basically they took money and had the intent to work with me. and filing a ch13 isn't going to help at this point because of the eviction notice from the sheriff office.
Thank you for your reply.
They still have to file suit against you to evict you. If you have proof that they made an agreement to not evict you as long as you kept paying the back due amount, then that would be a defense if they sue you in court for eviction.
You need to seek the community assistance though to stop this from happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you need to seek community assistance though to stop this from happening ? don't understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at this point can I appeal the eviction
Thank you for your reply.
I explained in my first response, there are groups such as your local legal aid office or church or social organizations in your community who can assist you in getting your rent paid up.
If you have already been sued in court for the eviction and the court has issued an order, you could file an appeal of the eviction if the landlord has been taking your rent money on the promise they would not evict you and you need to file the appeal as soon as possible and you would also have to file a motion to stay (stop) the eviction. This is why I was telling you that you need to get to legal aid as they can assist you with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.