Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I live in California, I pay my rent on time every month. The

Customer Question

I live in California, I pay my rent on time every month. The landlord does not respond to repair requests (broken door and old rotten bathtub) since i had moved in in Aug 2014. in addition did not respond to my request to renew my lease before it expired in August 2015, then the following month raised the rent, then after additional requests to sign a lease, refused unless it was longer than a year, i agreed, no response. I travel for work. I have a friend/assistant come in and stay for a day here or there for the last 3 months to handle some office work. i received a letter from the landlord saying that because he has been spotted being here "off and on" for six months (3) that i am required to pay an additional $678 with in 3 days (10% of the rent for 6 months, or i need to sign a new lease with a roommate attached. I can have the assistant not com by anymore, or not stay over when i am gone, but i am not seemed to be given that option. The actual owners seem to be a mystery, and i have no idea who they are. The Landord runs a construction company, and is only in his office occasionally. i don't know what my rights are, but i feel that i am being taken advantage of. PLEASE help! btw.. the letter was emailed to me, not mailed, and the attachment had the 3 day notice back dated by 5 days. what are my options?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like to add, that i am a very kind, and quiet person and home rarely. the property values in the area have gone up a lot, also, the only time the landlord will contact me, is if the water bill has gone up. i live in a one bedroom house connected to two other one bedroom houses built in 1955. we are all connected. i don't know who the owners are. when i google the name, it just goes back to his construction company and cell number, but he is not the owner. I'm stuck. i don't feel like i should pay the money.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Does the lease mention other roommates? If so, does it mention a penalty? Have you given notice in the past year or ever regarding the repairs. If so, when?

Are you there?