Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I am a realtor in the process of listing a home. If there is

Customer Question

I am a realtor in the process of listing a home.
If there is no written rental agreement for a basement renter that has been there for one year, is a 30 day notice to vacate needed?
Under this circumstance, will a 24 hour notice be required to show the house to a potential buyer?
Thank you in advance~
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in? Does the lease address the notice period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oregon.
My client has nothing written.
She has a verbal agreement only.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

For a month to month oral lease, a landlord can simply give written notice to move with no reason necessary, allowing 30 days (for occupancies of one year or less) or 60 days (for occupancies of more than one year, but only 30 days if the property is sold and other conditions are met) as required by Oregon law.

Oregon like most states has a law requiring the tenant to have "peaceful enjoyment" of the property they rented. That does not mean showings every day, it does not mean clean the house for showings and it does not mean they have to leave the house for showings either. 24 hours notice for non-emergency entry to the house is necessary and it should normally be between business hours although the landlord can negotiate with the tenant for greater access such as a reduction of rent.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just following up, do you have any further questions?

I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Any chance for a positive rating?