MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

We signed a one year lease to rent an apartment in

Customer Question

we signed a one year lease to rent an apartment in breckenridge , co and we want to leave early. the rental agent says we are responsible for the entire amount until the lease period is over.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately, the agent is correct. Typically, leases do not provide a cancellation clause and, if the tenant breaches, they will be held liable for the full amount of the lease. The only way to be sure this is the case is to review the lease to see if there is a cancellation clause in it providing a penalty for early termination. However, landlords rarely include such a clause in the lease.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.