Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

I have a 12 month lease ($8550/month) which end 06/30/16,

Customer Question

Hello , I have a 12 month lease ($8550/month) which end 06/30/16 , the security deposit held is $12825. If I leave on May 1st / 2016 and pay $4275 , I realize that I am not supposed to use my security deposit as unpaid rent , but on the other hand the owner can pay himself the balance of the lease rent from security deposit. All this said the property will be left in the exact same condition as when it was 1st received. the Question; can the landlord sue me?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, the only way the landlord would be able to file a lawsuit in a similar situation, if the landlord claims that there is some type of damages to the rental property and since the security deposit will be used to cover unpaid rent, the landlord would have to file a lawsuit against the tenant if the claimed damages are not paid by the tenant.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.