KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

I'm living in Connecticut I rented to a lady with 2 grown

Customer Question

Hi I'm living in Connecticut I rented to a lady with 2 grown kids and 2 grandkids. We didn't sign a lease the mother gave me a week's notice before she left. She left on the 30th of December I haven't received my keys and one of her daughter will not get her stuff out of my my house I changed one of the locks and all she keeps talking about is calling the cops and a lawsuit what can I do to get her out of my house.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

If you have no lease then they are considered month to month tenants. If the mother gave notice that she and everyone else would vacate in 1 week, then that is sufficient for you to rely upon it. However, once the others refuse to leave, now you have a holdover tenant and you have to proceed with an eviction, if you want to do this legally.

You can't change the locks if you know that someone is still living there. If the stuff is there, then that person didn't vacate yet. That person is also fully responsible for the entire rent, and you can keep charging as long as she is there. So you should give her a key in the meantime.

Then you give her a 3 day eviction notice and prepare to file eviction in court against the daughter. Hopefully once you give her that letter, she will move out right away.

Best of luck,

Kim

Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 11 months ago.

I need to close out my questions from last week so that I get paid for my work with you.

Please go ahead and rate my answers, and note that unless you give a 4 or 5 rating the system may keep your money and I won't get paid.

Thank you and take care,

Kim