barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My ex landlord informed me today he was suing me ,oops

Customer Question

My ex landlord informed me today he was suing me for 25,oops dollars for damages to property when we moved out i live in California and wanted to know what is the maximum he can sue for. Also most of the damages are do to a bad well that was shooting air out the lines i informed him numerous times that it was blowing out sprinkler heads he did nothing
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

i live in California and wanted to know what is the maximum he can sue for.

.

There is no "maximum" per se, as he can sue you for any amount as long as he can prove his damages. But if you mean how much could he sue you for in small claims court, then the limit is $10,000 there. Otherwise he would have to hire an attorney to assist and file in a higher court or represent himself pro se and act as his own attorney.

.

If any damages were due to his negligence in maintaining the property, then he would be liable here, not you. Make sure you retain any emails, letters, texts, voicemails, etc., that prove that you notified him of the problem and he did nothing.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lived there for 7 years and never thought to keep records of conversation about the well problems but my wife and I had at least 20 with him telling him about the problem he just responded to drag a hose around we both work lots of hours and didn't have time to drag to hoses around I assumed he was responsible for fixing the problem

Ok, then if he actually tried to sue, you would have to rely on your verbal testimony and that of your wife to show the judge that any damages were a result of the landlord's negligence in maintaining the well.

.

.

thanks