Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Verbal rental agreement - week to week - past due 40 weeks -

Customer Question

Verbal rental agreement - week to week - past due 40 weeks - five day eviction notice?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
renter rents room at same residence as landlord
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 12 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Normally the notice is a long as the tenancy period which in a week to week verbal tenancy which would be 7 days. South Carolina is no different, so if the tenant is on a week-to-week tenancy, the landlord should serve a 7 Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy. I would simply take the time to terminate the tenancy as no reason has to be given and it is only a couple more days. This would give the tenant less possible defenses and you can serve an eviction notice on them if they do not vacate at the time of the end of the tenancy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

It is five days if you want to serve an eviction notice though for nonpayment of rent. It is your choice which you would like. If you think they will just leave the 7 day notice might be less contentious.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating?

Are you there? Did you have any further questions?