RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Attorney
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
90553395

Cat issue. In my room ad (I reside in the house here in Los

Customer Question

Cat issue. In my room for rent ad (I reside in the house here in Los Angeles) and there's just me and the renter living here. I said cat is allowed. Months later, the renter asked me if she can have a cat. I said no. She said she already committed to adopting
a cat. I said fine just be clean (i.e. wash dish, clean litter, etc) The renter is very unclean. From that point on, I never saw the cat and never heard a cat but I heard the jumping, etc when she's not home. One day, I knocked at her door because the jumping
noise was getting too much. She told me she didn't have a cat and didn't believe her. I was very concerned about her having a cat because my ad said cat ok. I was very concern that the cat might have gone out and got eaten by the coyotes (my house is next
to a big park (Debs Park). The renter's room is in the back of the house with patio and garden and it's safe and privateto leave door open and she does almost at 100% when she's home day or night. She wants me to apologize for calling her a liar. She send
me a text message asking me if she can have a cat and I said no. Why did she have to ask if she already knew it's ok. Is she setting me up? Can I get in trouble for saying for no when the ad said yes. We don't have any least agreement just what is said in
the ad. I also said no because she said she was broke and I told her, having a cat will money (i.e. food, flea med, litter box refill). HELP.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer. Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue….

I couldn't answer as to why she asked it might be that since she moved in without a cat then she thought she should confirm it? It seems odd that she would ask, but then say she already adopted a cat? The craigs list really just amounts to an offer, but not a contract or lease so I don't see how you could be legally bound to that in anyway. If you had her sign an agreement that allowed for a cat and then refused then she could potentially sue you for breach of the lease agreement. In this case I don't see that you have any liability.

To verify you could provide her notice of 24-48 hr notice of your intent to enter her room and then inspect the room to confirm there is no cat or litter box, etc.

Does that help answer where you stand with this issue?

Thank you in advance for positive feedback as that is the only way I am compensated for answering questions. Do note that even after rating me you can ask follow up questions related to your original question as needed for free.

Regards,

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

It is my goal to provide you excellent service and do my best to fully answer the question you posted. The only way I get any credit for my answer is if you give me a positive rating between good-excellent. I would truly appreciate you taking the time to go back and review my answer and give me feedback. In the event you don’t feel like I answered your question please reply so I have an opportunity to fully answer the question you asked. In the event you have already provided feedback and I missed it Thank you and please disregard.

Regards,

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to check in with you and confirm that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 5th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received a rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can go directly to my page for future questions by going here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ron-b/?rpt=3800

Regards, Ron