KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

What is the Los Angeles Health Dept law renter in a house

Customer Question

What is the Los Angeles Health Dept law for a renter in a house leaving stinky trash outside by the door instead of throwing it in the trash bins? I live next to a big park (Debs Park) where there are coyotes, owls, raccoon, apossum, skunk, etc. Yes, we
have coyotes getting in our backyard even with a fence. One got in the yard a few months ago and good thing, I got out before the coyote got my dog. I am in the process of evicting the renter but she's not going to leave peacefully so in the meantime while
she is here, she going to annoy meby leaving trash outside, etc.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

You can call the health department and have them issue her a ticket. That is what would happen. Keep in mind that the inspector may want to enter the home and inspect further, so be aware that you would be opening up the property to possible other investigation.

I would document it though. Send her a notice every time it happens and it can give you additional grounds if you evict her. Every little bit helps.

Kim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reminded the renter regarding her trash and she said, there's no food. They are all recycle stuff and don't need to go in the trash. I can smell it and I can see used food container. She's not going to admit to anything at this point and just argue with me. I don't know what to do. I can go through the trash and take pictures what's inside the trash.

It doesn't matter if there is no food in there, empty bottles will still smell, as you can see, and attract animals, so they need to go in a trash bin. There is really no alternative for her.

Again, this is why I say to get this in writing. If she is not cooperating verbally, you need to document this, because technically if it is an ongoing real problem it could be grounds to evict her. You can't do that unless you have this documented in writing that you asked her to stop.

You can not go on the property without notice. If the trash bags are on the street where the trash is collected you can go through them and take pictures. If you send her a letter, let her know in writing that you will be removing those trash items if she doesn't, and that you will come on the property to do so. Give reasonable notice, 24 hours is ok in this instance, and then you are free to touch the trash and take all the pictures you want.

Best of luck to you,

Kim

If you don't have any follow up questions about my answer above, I need to close out the questions that I answered from last week, so that I get paid for my work. This is my sole means of income. Also, if you do not close the question and provide feedback of 4 or 5 the system may keep your money.

Thank you and take care!

Kim