Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I just moved into an apartment in Syracuse ny. Before I

Customer Question

hi I just moved into an apartment in Syracuse ny. Before I moved in the landlord cleaned the apartment painted and changed the carpet .now there is a smell from the past tenants smoking in the apartment . I have had many people over to the apartment and everyone stats that the smell is very strong. it hits you as soon as I open the front door. I had the landlord stop by and he said with me there I do not smell anything .he is lying to my face . what r my rights I have a one year lease . all of my close and furniture smell like smoke .
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

First, if your lease directly addresses cigarette smoke and lack thereof, that will control. Unfortunately, if you have signed the lease then you will most likely have to live with the smell. Unless there is something that addresses this specifically in the lease or before you signed the lease, the landlord specifically agreed in writing to fix the smell then you most likely have no recourse against the landlord. In NY the apartment must meet the standards of livability and most be inhabitable. If it is not, then you will be able to terminate the lease.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

I see you reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating? It is an extra step that will not cost you extra and will help me be compensated by the site. I would really appreciate it.

Are you there? Did you have any further questions?