KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

A tenant said she was having guest in May, and they are

Customer Question

A tenant said she was having guest in May, and they are still their. I asked her to put them on a lease or pay 200 per month per person to help on utility's in the building since it is a four family, and I pay the utilities bill. She replied with a certified
lawyer type letter says. I can't ask them to be put on the lease, and she isn't subletting, and their still her guest. They can stay as long as they like
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I a happy to assist you today.

I don't know what your lease says, but I will assume it does not give an amount of time that a guest can stay. Generally the courts will consider a reasonable amount of time for a guest to be ok without them being on the lease. That is a month or so, but certainly not 7 months or more!

You are within your rights to ask for this person to be added to the lease, and to increase the rent slightly. If you have trouble you can file for an eviction of that person, if it is really a serious situation for you. From what you have told me it sounds like you would be legally entitled to that.

I hope this helps!

Kim

I just want to make sure that the system doesn't keep your money, which will also ensure that I get credited for my work with you. Please go ahead and close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating.

Best of luck and take care,
Kim

Hi there,

I need to close out the questions that I answered from last week, so that I get paid for my work. This is my sole means of income. Please go ahead and provide feedback of 4 or 5 so that I can get credit for my work and close out the question.

Thank you!

Kim