KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

I am a landlord. My tenant just clogged s toilet which

Customer Question

I am a landlord. My tenant just clogged his toilet which caused a water overflow and flooded downstairs unit. For all damages, am I able to to press a claim on renter's insurance? What do I need and need to do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

I am assuming you refer to the tenant's renter's insurance, not a policy in your name.

I would charge the tenant, get paid, and let the tenant get recovered from his own insurance. I wouldn't try to make a claim with them directly. You could speak with him first and see if he is willing to cooperate and he may be willing to facilitate making a claim, but again, seems better to me to get paid right away so you can do the work now, and let him worry about getting reimbursed.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello, I just want you to know that I am online today, if you have any follow up questions relating to your original question.

If not, please be sure to close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating, which will ensure that I get paid for my work with you and that the system doesn't keep your money.

Take care,

Kim

I just want to make sure that the system doesn't keep your money, which will also ensure that I get credited for my work with you. Please go ahead and close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating.

Best of luck and take care,
Kim

Hi there,

It has been 6 days since I answered your question, and the question is still open. I need to close it out so that I get paid for my work with you. Please go ahead and provide feedback of 4 or 5 so that I can get credit for my work and close out the question.

Thank you!

Kim