CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

11/30/2015 Can a landlord evict you less than 30 days on an

Customer Question

11/30/2015
Can a landlord evict you less than 30 days on an unfurnished room? I moved in 11/16/2015 and paid one weeks rent and two weeks security. Rent is $215 per week, cash.
In addition, I paid another $215.00 on 11/23/2015 and 11/30/2015 but sneaky landlord only gave me receipts for everything except 11/30/2015.
Now landlord is requesting possession of premises and want me out within 2 days.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

If you are a "week to week" tenant, you get 1 week's notice to vacate.

The police will not throw you out without a court order.

If the landlord wants you out, they must take you to court with an unlawful detainer action and get a judgment of possession against you, which can then be enforced by the constable.

You have a right to appear in court and defend the court action.

See the Court website for help and forms: https://www.nycourts.gov/COURTS/nyc/housing/representMenu.shtml