Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I own a home in SC and I have a friend who resides in my

Customer Question

I own a home in SC and I have a friend who resides in my home. (No lease) I've asked him to leave due to his drinking and he refuses to leave. He never paid me rent but did pay some of the monthly bills. How do I go about getting him out of my home.
Thank you in advance
Robert Compasso
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
The legal definition of a lease is an agreement that someone else may stay in or use your property. A lease DOES NOT require a written document.
With that said, if you don't have a written document, then the tenancy created is a month-to-month agreement. S.C. Code of Laws, Section 27-40-770 provides that a month-to-month tenancy may be terminated at any time by providing at least 30 days written notice prior to the end of the month.
Then, if your friend refuses to leave after the date stated in the notice, you can go to the courthouse on the next business day and file for eviction.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.