Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I am the landlord in GA and have tenants without any kind of

Customer Question

I am the landlord in GA and have tenants without any kind of lease agreement, how much time am I required to give them to vacate? Are there basic forms to fill out and serve the tenants?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Any time you allow someone to move into your property, that is a type of lease agreement. Code of Georgia, Section 44-7-1. What you have is called a tenancy at will. See Code of Georgia, Section 44-7-6. A lease agreement does not have to be in writing to be valid. That's a common misconception.

Georgia law requires a landlord to give 60 days notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy. Tenants are only required to give 30 days notice. Section 44-7-7. You have the ability to just type up a letter and serve it on them (by handing it to someone who lives there, or posting it on the door and also mailing it). The state doesn't have any free forms for that. However, there are a few websites that might help (the first is a sample, the last three are sites that will help you generate the notice):

http://www.simplifyem.com/forms/georgia-notice-to-vacate

www.legalzoom.com

www.uslegalforms.com

www.rocketlawyer.com

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.