barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Options of personal items by evicted room mate.

Customer Question

options for recovery of personal items by evicted room mate.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Are you saying you were evicted and were not able to take all your personal property at that time?

.

Were you evicted by the landlord or by the roommate who you were renting from?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I am the owner of the house who had a girlfriend who I had requested her to leave my property while I was away. Upon my return I discovered she had removed items from the house. I wish to have these items returned as they were bought and paid for by me, some of which were left me by my deceased mother.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. If she has moved out and taken your personal property, that is theft at worst and "conversion" at best. So you have a couple options.

.

You could try to file a criminal complaint for theft with the police of local DA, but they may tell you that it is a civil matter you have to take up in civil court.

.

The other option would be to file a formal civil suit against her for "conversion", which is the wrongful taking of the property of another. You would be asking for "replevin" which is their return or for their depreciated value in the form of a money judgment. If the value of the items is under $5,000 then you can file the suit in small claims court and don't need an attorney to help.

.

.

thanks