KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

I am renting a building business, i went to the owner of the

Customer Question

i am renting a building for my business, i went to the owner of the property to ask her some questions, and she told me to go to so and so, and that they will be the ones to talk to (the manager of her business). What should i do? also the manager is the one that has spare key to the building i am renting, by law can she have access to keys?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The building owner can use anyone as her agent, so the manager of her business is allowed to act on her behalf if she authorizes the manager to do so. That person can also have access to keys.

You are entitled to a copy of any management agreement that she may have with that manager, so that you can know for sure that this person is legally allowed to have those keys. That is not an unreasonable request.

Best of luck

Kim