Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I am being sued by my formal tenant that has been farming my

Customer Question

I am being sued by my formal tenant that has been farming my land. I hired an attorney and he has charged me for about 80 hours for a trial that lasted less than 4.5 hours and
he is still charging me for research on the trial that is over. The opposing attorney admitted before the trial that he didn't have a case. The trial has been postponed 3 times and each time my attorney has charged to prepare for the trial I would think that once he was prepared that he wouldn't have to do it each time. He had subpoenaed 5 witnesses and charged me for all 5 each time the trial was delayed but when we got to trial we had only one witness. How do I stop this guy from taking me to the cleaners
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

are you asking about controlling your own lawyer fees?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

The lawyer fees should be subject to an engagement agreement. Lawyer should issue invoices showing time, rate and hours worked, and service performed. You can direct lawyer not to do work you didnt authorize and contest fees you deem unreasonable. Most lawyers will compromise the bill in this situation not wanting to risk being sued.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that is clear, thanks.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me positively.