LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I rent a home in Kenmore, WA. I received a letter from the

Customer Question

I rent a home in Kenmore, WA. I received a letter from the water company on Friday stating they think there may be a water leak. I informed my landlord upon opening the letter, he also received a copy of the letter as it is in his name. It is now Monday and he hasn't fixed the leak and the water bill is going to be extremely high. Is he responsible for paying for the water that is leaking until he gets it fixed?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

To the extent that your landlord refuses to repair the leak---presuming there is one and presuming that is on the house side of the water meter making the owner responsible for the leak---then the landlord and not you is responsible to pay for the cost of the wasted water.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My landlord has a plumber coming tomorrow but in the meantime several hundred cubic feet of water had been wasted which could run into BIG money that I don't have. Is he responsible for paying for the wasted water?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Yes, he is responsible for paying for the wasted water.

And while I don't want to argue with you, but also, I don't want you overly concerned either. Water is sold by utilities by the acre-foot and not the cubic foot. An acre foot of water is equivalent to about 43,500 cubic feet. So the loss of a few hundred cubic feet of water will cost virtually nothing in the long run.

But, in the end, your landlord is legally responsible for any losses or expenses directly related to the failure of his water pipes.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug