Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Are there any statutes stating a landlord cannot rent to

Customer Question

Are there any statutes stating a landlord cannot rent to more tenants than there are available parking spaces? I know this is private property so I was not sure but I figured I would ask anyways.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no specific law that prohibits a landlord from renting to more tenants than there are parking spaces. However, if a lease promises a tenant a parking space, then there must be enough spaces to fulfill that promise. That could mean giving assigned spaces to tenants whose lease includes a promise of a space or telling tenants without such a promise that they can't use the lot. However if the lease says something like "parking is available on a first come, first served basis," then no one has a guaranteed spot.

When a tenant needs an accessible space or needs a space near their front door because of a disability, then the Fair Housing Act would require the landlord to provide a space as a reasonable accommodation (although the tenant could be required to pay the costs of creating an accessible space or painting an exiting space to mark it as reserved). Requests for a reasonable accommodation can be made to a landlord in writing, and should include that phrase as well as the noting that the Fair Housing Act requires them to comply with the request.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.