barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Got a three day notice paying my rent. My lease agreement is

Customer Question

Got a three day notice for not paying my rent. My lease agreement is a month to month lease. Does the landlord have to give me a 30 day notice.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you are late on your rent, the landlord only has to give you a 3 day notice to pay rent or vacate. Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 59.12.030(3). If you didn't pay the rent, then the landlord would still have to file a formal eviction action in the local courts to get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff would execute to force you to vacate.

.

This takes 3-4 weeks longer depending on the court's schedule. So the landlord can't force you to leave even after giving you a 3 day without going through the the full court eviction process.

.

A 30 day notice is only required to terminate your tenancy if you aren't in breach of the lease or late on the rent and the landlord just wants to end the rental contract.

.

.

thanks