Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

My Malone NY month-to-month mobile home tenant sent me an

Customer Question

My Malone NY month-to-month mobile home tenant sent me an email Oct 10 2015 followed by letter received Oct 19 2015 giving me a 30 day notification they were moving out. Moving truck was for oct 22 2015, and their daughter ( who does not live with them) would clean the place and steam clean carpets and they should be completely moved out for Nov 15 2015 at which time the propane gas and electric would be cut. They wrote that pertaining to rent we will pay 275.00, half a month's rent to nov 15 2015. Their daughter had the keys but refused to let us in stating they were responsible for the place until then! I sent an email telling them to leave the keys and the rent cheque with the site owner on Nov 15th.
I have received Nov 6 2015 a registered package mailed oct 31 2015 from the daughter with the keys and a note telling me that the tenants were completely moved out by Oct 31 2015 and therefore I was responsible for the place as of Nov 1 2015!
Do I have any recourse to collect the half rent which I need to cover the payments for the mobile home? I live in quebec canada so I had arranged to go down to Malone on Nov 16th and meet with gas company the site landlord for the final inspection of premises.
thank you,
Joanne Vezina
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 year ago.

Where are you located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Canada but my rental property is in Malone NY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Email from tenants, Email from daughter, Email from me to tenants:
Thank you, Joanne

This question is on the Canada law list.

I will ask the site to move it to the correct list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Joanne
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Joanne! Thanks for using JUST ANSWER. You should check your lease agreement to see how much notice the tenants are required to give. It's possible that if they completed the move out on Oct 31 they may owe no Nov rent at all, or at most, ten days, i.e. 30 days from Oct 10. Had they stayed over until Nov 15, on a month to month they would have owed all of Nov, and that may be why they decided to move by 10/31. In some states, a month to month tenant does not have to give advance notice of termination. They just move out at the end of the month.

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and that you will now enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.