Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I just received a 3 days notice "Notice to vacate of rent or

Customer Question

My name is***** just received a 3 days notice "Notice to vacate for nonpayment of rent or other sums".
I lived in my apartment since 7 months. I always paid my rent on time and my utilities (LADWP, SOCALGAS...). When I signed the lease with my roommate we didn't pay attention to all the detail. The property manager was on her weekend and didn't have time for us; and we were looking for a place asap. I remember asking her if we can check the apartment before moving in and she refused it. We agreed on the rent + tax ($1750 rent + $4 tax = 1,754) and the fact that we have to subscribe to the electricity/water and gas. 2-3 months after moving in I received a Statement from Conservice with additional charges ($50). I didn't pay it because my rent and my utilities are already to high ($1754 rent + $190 utilities = $1944/month). I can afford this additional charges. I lost my job a month ago and I am still waiting to receive some money from EDD. I had to subscribe to new credit cards to be able to pay my rent. And just after paying the New Management Company wants to evict me.
They are asking me to pay $300 or to move.
I don't know what to do.
Can you give me some advice?
Sincerely,
Gaelle
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.