Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Rented a condo months with our dog. After we left, someone

Customer Question

Rented a condo for three months with our dog. After we left, someone came in and inspected it. All looked good and our security deposit was returned. Two weeks later we get a call that the cleaning people went in to clean and it was infested with fleas. We checked our dog at that time and she had a flea on her. We flea bathed her and sprayed our house. We have never had a flea problem since. We paid the amount they requested for extermination and cleaning. Two months later, we get a call again that the condo is infested again. Are we responsible? Side note, the woman who came to inspect the house the first time has a dog. Our dog has always used a topical flea protection from vet.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You not responsible. You got the all clear and got deposit back. Landlord waived any claims. It also cannot establish you caused it since time passed since you left. Practically, landlord not likely to pursue this in court given these facts, so I would not be concerned.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.