Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

Is there an amount whereby one would be entitled per day if

Customer Question

Is there an amount whereby one would be entitled for meals per day if they had no gas for cooking due to management 's libility
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What state is this in, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bronx , new york
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

No, there is no specific statute in the landlord/tenant code for how much one would get for meals, I am afraid. However, in the event of the landlord’s breach of warranty of habitability, the tenant is entitled to damages.

So the tenant can theoretically file in small claims court to ask for the difference between the cost of food for those days while the stove was not working, and, what they would have had to pay if it was working. If tenant files this, then the small claims court will make a decision on a case by case basis.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the information was not sufficient
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you feel this way. If you want to clarify this by asking/pressing on any nuanced, I would be happy to expand on the answer to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Okay, all the best.