Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Going threw a divorce court order to pay rent and ulities.

Customer Question

going threw a divorce court order to pay rent and ulities. ulities bill in boyfriend name. do i still need to pay bill. his name is ***** ***** does he need to pay half of rent.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the divorce court judge ordered you to pay rent and utilities, yes, you unfortunately do need to pay, regardless of whose name is ***** ***** apartment and the utilities. If you don't pay, the electric company will shut you off, and you could be held in contempt of court - which could mean interest on top of paying the bills, plus other penalties. The other party would not have to pay the other half of the rent unless the judge stated that he did in the order. But usually in a divorce, the person who keeps the property becomes solely responsible for paying to continue living there.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.