Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

What is the statute of limitations in California robbery? I

Customer Question

What is the statute of limitations in California for armed robbery? I was robbed of $8,000 cash held up at gunpoint January 20th 2014 I did not file charges. Is it too late to file charges now?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Yes, you can still press charges. The criminal statute of limitations for most felonies in California is three years, and it's six years for the others. Cal. Pen. Code, Sections 800-801. If you know who committed the robbery, you also have the ability to sue for assault (pointing a gun at someone qualifies), which has a two year statute of limitations. Cal. Code Civ. P., Section 335.1. And there's a three year statute of limitations for civil theft. Section 338 (same link as above).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.