How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37078
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Townhouse rented to couple and adult daughter. Now tenant

Customer Question

Townhouse rented to couple and adult daughter. Now tenant wants her old handicapped mother to move in. What sre the rights of landlord?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. The landlord presumably rented the unit to just the couple and their daughter, correct?

2. Are the tenants month to month, or do they have a lease? If a lease, when does it end?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a one year lease. Wife is the responsible tenant, agreed that husband and daughter would coinhabit. Their names are ***** ***** lease. NC lease agreement says tenant and immediate family.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they have the right to move in old mother and if yes can they modify bathroom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lease ends may 31, 2016
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

In landlord-tenant situations, immediate family members do not include parents, grandchildren or siblings---but the adult tenants and their children only.

Moving in the grandmother would be a violation of the lease agreement. The landlord can either deny the tenant the right to move the grandmother in, or allow the proposed change and amend the lease agreement to increase the rent in exchange for the right to add another member to the tenancy.

In the event that the landlord does allow the grandmother to move in, then the landlord would also have to allow reasonable accommodations to the grandmother---in terms of modifications necessary because she is handicapped. However, any changes would be able to be charged to the tenant.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions