CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I have no handicap parking available at my apartment complex

Customer Question

I have no handicap parking available at my apartment complex and my landlady just came and yelled at me parking where I could and told me I had to move my car and I am handicapped
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. What state is your apartment complex located in? (While handicap parking is generally governed by the ADA (federal law), it is interpreted by each state individually, so if you provide me with the state I can get you a more specific answer to your question).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California

Thank you,

In CA you can park in any space designated "for resident" (it does not permit you to park in a space dedicated to a specific unit).

In CA, there are a lot of resources for you to provide to your landlord. The CA DMV is probably the most clear: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr07

In addition, the CA Attorney General has a handbook of rights for the disabled: http://www.ag.ca.gov/consumers/pdf/disabled.pdf

Additionally, depending on the size of the complex, and whether or not the apartments are subsidized with government funding, there may be an additional requirement that 2% of the parking spaces in the apartment complex must be reserved for handicap parking.