barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a rental that I had rented to a couple that ended up

Customer Question

I have a rental that I had rented to a couple that ended up getting a roommate. Then they moved away but not till they bent the soffit that wasn't even 2 years old. Their roommate wanted to stay even though the rent was going to be tough. She got her daughter to move in with her from California and the next thing I knew the daughter fiancé moved in. Now there are three adults and two kids living in a two bedroom duplex. There is no lease, and they are always late with their rent, pay part on the 5th, and I still haven't gotten the rest. The fiancé told me he would have it and Nov.'s rent today. I texted & told him I would be over around 5. He said they had it but needed to cash a check, they would call me when they got home. I haven't heard anything from them. The yard is a mess, the screen on the living room window is torn and a few months ago when I was inside, it was a mess. Someone told me today that you can not evict someone in Wyoming from November to April if they have children. Is this true?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Someone told me today that you can not evict someone in Wyoming from November to April if they have children. Is this true?

.

No, not at all. This is an "urban legend" among tenants that they can somehow get a stay of eviction during the winter months simply because they have children. But nothing could be further from the truth. The law doesn't take into consideration how old or how young an occupant is, only if the tenant has lived up to their contractual obligations. If not, then they and everyone else can be evicted. A landlord is not legally obligated to subsidize the tenants in the winter months and can pursue an eviction if they are in breach of the lease the same as in summer..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks