Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I had a water leak in my sprinkler system that I told the

Customer Question

I had a water leak in my sprinkler system that I told the property mgr for months and he never fixed it. I just got a water bill for 700.00 and he said the water bill is in my name so it not his problem. is this true
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

The answer is it depends.

Do you live in a community with an association? We would need to take a look at the bylaws of the association to determine for certain who is in charge of what. However, typically, the association is in charge of all common areas (and typically the sprinkler system is something that is installed throughout the entire property and not on an individual basis).

That being said, if the sprinkler system is your sprinkler system and does not belong to the general property, then you would be on the hook. If the sprinkler system belongs to the association, it is the responsibility of the property manager to fix it and you can sue the company in small claims court for the increase in the water bill.