Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

We are having the roof of the garages to our apartment

Customer Question

Good afternoon, We are having the roof of the garages to our apartment replaced. The roofing company has stated that tenants can keep their items in the garage while the work takes place. I am drafting a letter to my tenants to inform them of the work
that will take place. Do i need to provided them plastic coverings to protect their items from getting debris on them when the roof is taken off. Am i liable should something in their garage get damaged? I was going to put something in the letter to say that
we are not liable for damage caused by the roofing company. Would that statement be enough? Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You are liable if something happens in your property. You should ensure due covering. If you are using a contractor that person should be insured. You could also secure an indemnification or release of liability to protect you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have an umbrella policy. I assume this would cover any issues. The roofing company does have insurance. So then i think we are okay?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Yes that works, double coverage, and contractor primarily liable.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate the answer positively.