Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I am being sued by a gentleman that we used to finish our

Customer Question

I am being sued by a gentleman that we used to finish our basement, he claims we owe him 3900 we believe we do not owe him anything else, small claim case, we do not have a contract. He also brought in a plumber to do some work that I am still making payments towards. He still has my garage door opener
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. First, why does he believe you we him more? Second, what exactly are you asking here, i.e. what is your question? For example:

-do I need to file an answer?

-what can I argue back?

-can I ask for my garage door opener back?

Etc.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to see if he has a legitimate claim without a contract and do you recommend an attorney ?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Whether or not this is a legitimate claim depends on what exactly was agreed-upon. Can you please tell me more about the nature of the dispute? What was agreed upon and what is he claiming?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was agreed to finish the basement and pay as you go. However his terms for pay as you go ended up in 2 weeks which put a strand on my financials , also he kept track of his own time whack I disagree with. The plumbing work was done without my consent and approval and now I am paying the plumber 3200.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Because this was a verbal agreement, it is literally a "he said versus she said" situation. The Court would rule based on whoever is more believable as to what was agreed-upon. In addition, if you have any texts, emails, or other proof of your version, this would be helpful in advancing your version of the events.

An attorney is recommended but not mandatory. In addition, know that the Defendant (i.e. you) should file an answer with the Court to avoid a default judgment. A copy of the answer must also be sent to the Plaintiff. I am including a sample answer with this reply.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!