Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Renting in a mobile home park. Park bills usage and payment

Customer Question

Renting in a mobile home park. Park bills for water usage and payment is made with the rent. Lived in same home for two years and pay about $40 per month for water. Suddenly, the bill to be paid with November's rent is $80.00. Notice received from park says new meters were installed and they are being billed for back usage. Is this legal? What recourse should be taken if not legal?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

It is not legal unless there is infact proof that you used the water in the past for which you did not pay. Also, there would be a time limit for how far back they can go to assess those charges if they were mistakenly not included. Need to now how the park determines how much to charge you verses another tenant before I can answer further...