CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I am being evicted from my apartment, i have to appear in

Customer Question

i am being evicted from my apartment, i have to appear in court thursday, there are alot of inconsistencies in the amount the owner is stating I owe and the amount i have accourding to the ledgers i received. i went today to court to ask for a continuance and they stated to me that i can file for one but it is a $160.00 fine. I want legal council but i cant afford a lawyer. What can I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

You can try contacting your local (county) bar association and see if there is any legal aid available for tenants in your area (many locations do have this kind of service - but not all regions have enough funds to provide free legal services like this).

The $160.00 should not be a fine, it should be a filing fee for the continuance (the nuance may not be significant to you, but the court is not penalizing you for asking for a continuance, it is simply a fee that is charged for filing the motion (every civil motion carries a filing fee).

You can find online help for tenants defending an unlawful detainer here: http://www.illinoislegaladvocate.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=8326

And in much more detail, here: http://www.nairlawllc.com/uploads/1/3/2/2/13222392/eviction_and_rent_claim.pdf