TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My landlord gave me a 10day notice with false

Customer Question

My landlord gave me a 10day notice with false allegations.... Then a 5day notice to vacate for "late rent" when it was only the 3rd of the month. Every since then he does not answer his phone or fix anything. I leave messages I call I ask for rent receipts
ect ... To no avail... Can I sue him for slandering or harassment? Can I break my lease and get my deposit back asap without an eviction? Also I noticed that everyone who moves in the building gets their apt redone new floors new.everything.. Meanwhile in
order to move into mibes I had to clean it myself and shampoo carpets in the apt i moved out of and the one i moved into.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

To clarify, are you now up to date on rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im always up to date!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

If you are always up to date on rent, and your landlord gave you a notice to vacate due to late rent, then clearly there is a disconnect. You could take the landlord up on the offer to vacate, and thus terminate the lease as you suggested. If the landlord fails to fix anything, then you could indeed sue him for over-payment of rent. The argument is that the apartment was not worth what you were paying for it because the landlord failed in his basic duties to make ordinary repairs. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that you'd win a lawsuit for slander or harassment, however (at least I don't see that you'd win based on the facts few that you shared). Finally, the fact that others in the building were treated better upon moving in is not ordinarily something that you can sue over, unless the reason for your poor treatment is based on something like race, religion, gender, disability, etc. If so, then that would be illegal discrimination, and you would surely have a case against the landlord.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!