Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I am in a lease that is suppose to end on April 20, 2016. My

Customer Question

I am in a lease that is suppose to end on April 20, 2016. My husband was approached and pushed from behind in our driveway on Sunday, The man threatened my husband guns were drawn, the police were notified. The man that threatened my husband threatened to come back. My husband works nights and I am scared to death to be there at night by myself. So, with that being said I have moved out and I am going to do a final cleaning and walk through tonight and tomorrow night, then notify my landlord. Since our safety/lives are at risk here, can he still come after us (the landlord)?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under the law, the landlord is not liable for acts of third parties or for a neighborhood being bad. So legally you would still be in breach of the lease for moving out, even though you have done so because you fear for your safety. I am afraid that this is something you need to negotiate with the landlord to get him to agree to allow you out of the lease without penalty, but if he wants to be a jerk about it he could pursue you for breach of the lease I am afraid. If he agrees to let you out without penalty, get him to write that he is allowing you to terminate your lease without penalty.