Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I have a problem with two different issues involving real

Customer Question

I have a problem with two different issues involving real estate>
1. I put up a $1,500 deposit and was not able to move in, due to family death. I want the money back.
2. I put in an application for another home so all of my family could live there, the owner decided since I have custody of my 4 grand babies, and the property has a pool that she would not lease the home to me.
Is there any recourse I have on either issue>
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

1) Did you sign a lease? Did you sign anything that that discussed the status of the deposit? Many times the classification of the deposit depends on signing the lease. If you signed the lease, then the deposit should be refundable but then the lease would be valid and they could keep the deposit as you did not move in and owe rent for the entire lease or until the property is rented to another tenant.

2) the landlord is a private citizen and can rent to whoever they please. Unless it was based on race and possibly age as it does not seem so. You most likely have no recourse here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions? If not, please positive rate my answer as it will not incur any further charges and will only allow the site to compensate me for my time.