Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

The rental property is in Indiana. When submitting this to

Customer Question

The rental property is in Indiana. When submitting this to the court do I have to be present to file and at the hearing or can I submit by phone or do I need to have a lawyer. Will they have to pay all that is owed with late fees at court or garnish their
wages. Can I also request they be reported to the credit bureau.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. To ensure that I do not miss anything, I will go point by point with my response.

You asked:

The rental property is in Indiana. When submitting this to the court do I have to be present to file and at the hearing or can I submit by phone or do I need to have a lawyer.

Most courts require you to file in person although some permit e-filing. You can contact the courthouse and see if you can file through the net. If not, it has to be in person and you also have to appear at the hearing.

Will they have to pay all that is owed with late fees at court or garnish their wages.

You can demand costs including filing fees and court costs as part of your filing. But be aware that you then need two sections, one pertaining to ejectment (eviction) and one pertaining to breach of contract and costs owed to you.

Can I also request they be reported to the credit bureau.

That is up to you to report, since they owe the funds to you. The courts do not report, you do that once you obtain judgment.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.