Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

Yesterday I went to the apartment management office to pay

Customer Question

Yesterday I went to the apartment management office to pay my monthly rent. I always paid by check and request a receipt for payment. I apartment complex has a new rule that they no longer provide a receipt. As a tenant, am I entitled to a receipt upon request?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did they have a reason for refusing to give a receipt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was an incident at another apartment complex that company owns where an employee was providing receipts for rent not collected. As corrective action, the regional manager established a rule that receipts will no longer be provided to tenants for rent payment.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. It is really more of an issue if you are paying cash. Since you pay by check, your cancelled check will serve as a receipt or proof or payment.

But there is no law I have seen which states a landlord must give a receipt.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?