Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

A little over 60 days ago I moved into a townhome managed by

Customer Question

A little over 60 days ago I moved into a townhome managed by a leasing company. From the get go, there have been issues with the unit. First of my long list of issues on the walk through sheet, only a few have been addressed, including exterior siding pulling away from the building inviting mold. Next, the AC unit leaked water everywhere and it took 2 days for it to be looked at. Then my neighbors (both sides) had begbugs that got into my house. This Sat there was a major sewage backup from the drain in my utility closet. They removed the closet carpet where the feces was, but just threw fans under the rest of the carpet that had been soaking in sewer water. I sent a lengthy email detailing my issues and am being given the run around. Can I call the health department if they don't replace the carpet (also, mold!)? What are my rights? Technically they are fixing things, but painfully slowly and incompetently. I don't have the money to move again and I'm paying $1000/mo to live in hell.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can make written demand for items to be addressed and a rent credit. You may pursue a matter in court seeking court order which often leads to performance. Practically, some tenants withhold rent until the issues resolved although that could lead to eviction proceeding, which then prompt settlement and repair too in most instances.