Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Is it legal landlord to demand rent on Tuesday and state he

Customer Question

Is it legal for a landlord to demand rent on Tuesday and state he will change the locks and turn off utilities (in tenants name) on Monday if rent is not received in state of North Carolina?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, that's not legal. A landlord can certainly ask for rent to be paid when it's due, or if it's late, but there's no right to change the locks or turn off utilities. A tenant may only be removed from the premises with a court order. N.C. Gen. Stat., Section 42-25.6. If the landlord changed the locks or turned off the utilities, you could sue him for a court order allowing you access back into the premises and your expenses during the time you were denied access (like hotel costs). Section 42-25.9. You'd also be able to get the value of any of your items that he destroyed or removed from the property. If the landlord is threatening to evict you without a court order, it might help to show him those statutes.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.