Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

The wording on the lease contract states that a monthly

Customer Question

The wording on the lease contract states that a monthly lease amount will be reviewed after 3 month to ensure the utility amount covered in the rent is sufficient. If it succeeds, and the tenant isn't happy with the adjusted lease amount they have 30 days to leave the property. Does this cover the rights of the landlord? How can the landlord be protected if the leasee just want out of the contract so runs up the utility and then say they are not happy with the increase just to get out of the contract after 3 months? Please advise how this should be worded to protect both parties, thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

Are you the landlord? And who is suggesting the current language or is it in a form document and you want to change it. ? Regarding a utility bill and payment and the termination provisions of either the landlord or tenant -- the parties are generally free to negotiate any terms that they wish to negotiate between them and I am happy to suggest a few line for this provision if you wish me to do so. Can you tell me -- (a) how much notice would you like the tenant to give ? (b) do you want conditions placed in the provision -- such as instead of simply letting the tenants out of the lease if they are not happy with the new utility amount, actually changing the language to let them choose to end the lease only if the utility bill increases the overall rent cost by more than 25 percent or by a certain dollar amount (you can use either a percentage amount or dollar amount).

-

Please advise on a few of these points and what you would truly like to say and I can write a few sentences or a paragraph to cover this situation for inclusion in the lease document.

MARY