Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I broke my lease one month in and was informed by the land

Customer Question

I broke my lease one month in and was informed by the land lord that they would immediately begin searching for a new tenant. I followed up two weeks later to see if they had leased it and they had not. It has been 34 days since I gave notice and I have not heard from the land lord. I drove by the house this weekend and there is a for sale sign out front.
Is it legal to expect me to continue paying rent when he originally claimed he would relet the property and has now tied my hands trying to find a new tenant? He, in bad faith, did not notify me of his intent to sell and has therefore made it impossible to find a new tenant. Is this legal? Isn't the LL to mitigate damages? I have an email thread with all info and nowhere in the lease does it acknowledge what happens if he decides to sell the property while it is being leased. What are my rights as a tenant?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You're only liable for the rent up until the landlord stopped seeking a new tenant. If he's decided to sell the property instead of renting it out, then that cuts off your liability under the lease. He does have an obligation to mitigate his damages. It IS legal for him to sell the house, but he can't keep charging you rent while he lets the place sit empty.