Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I'm leasing a commercial property(gas station and

Customer Question

I'm leasing a commercial property(gas station and convenience store)month to month lease agreement that renews every year,since 6 years.My lease already terminated on the 09/09/2015.the land lord did not renew the lease and now almost 40 days I am doing business without the lease.I paid the monthly rent on the 1st of september.I heard that land lord has sold the property and the buyer had showed up and told my employee that he bought the property and he is the new owner.I have not informed by my Landlord about this.Now I do not know what action should I take.I have my good will and the Improvements I made after I leased this business since 2004.What should I do if I get evicted.Can I claim for my good will and my personal belongings.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

When your lease expired last month with no new lease, you were deemed to have a month to month lease. In most states, this type of lease can be cancelled with 30 days notice regardless of reason. Any improvements you have made to the building are considered to be part of the building if they are fixtures and will remain with the landlord if you are evicted (technically it would not be an eviction unless you refuse to leave the property if given notice). I would contact the new owner and ask he or she if you can negotiate a new lease. As long as rent is being accepted, you do have a month to month lease that can be cancelled pretty easily but you will have notice. Your goodwill is not something you can claim but you can take any personal belongings from the premises unless, like I said, they are fixtures.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating?